Zanjeer – This dog saved lives of many in the Mumbai Bomb Blast 1993
Zanjeer – An unlikely hero who emerged after -effects of a significant unpleasant event that shook the whole country from the Mumbai Bomb Blast 1993. We all know about this disastrous chain of 12 bombs which went off across Mumbai in March 1993. But do we all know about the hero who saved countless lives or the disaster could have been almost inevitable?
|Also Known As||Ginger|
|Date of Birth||7th November 1992|
|Date Of Demise||16th November 2000|
|Worked In||Mumbai Police Dog Squad|
|Known For||Detection bombs, explosives etc.|
|Famous||Saving Thousands From 1993 Mumbai Bomb Blasts|
Zanjeer the golden labrador came out as shining savior was the proud part of the Mumbai Police bomb squad. The Mumbai Blast 1993 which left 257 dead and 713 injured. But this could have augmented to thousands if Zanjeer was not on duty. He saved thousands of lives by detecting more than 3,329 kgs of the explosive RDX, 600 detonators, 249 hand grenades and more than 6400 rounds of live ammunition.
• The Mumbai police dog squad came into force in the month of December 9, 1959.
• Prior, then the squad consists of three Doberman Pinschers – Kumar, Bindo, and Rajah.
• The main aim of the squad then was only tracking and solving criminals. As at that time there were not so many terror attacks. But with the fleeting of time, there was a rise in terror attacks. The result of which additional sniffer dogs was trained to detect explosives, ammunition etc.
• Among the new arrival dogs, one was the golden labrador Zanjeer.
• He joined the work in Mumbai Police Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad on 29th December 1992.
• Zanjeer was handled by Ganesh Andale and V.G. Rajput.
• He was also called as Ginger lovingly by his fellow officers because of his coat color.He was trained at the Dog Training Centre of the Criminal Investigation Department in Pune.
• Zanjeer got his name after the famous Amitabh Bachchan starred movie Zanjeer.
• Zanjeer has a glorified list of detection that includes 175 petrol bombs, 57 Bombs, 11 military bombs,600 detonators and 200 grenades. The list is excluding the Mumbai bomb blasts.
• The reason for which labrador retrievers, German Shepherd and Doberman were appointed in the dog squad is somewhere because of Zanjeer. He has shaped a milestone or we should say a landmark for dog squads.
Sadly, Zanjeer suffered from bone cancer and demised at the age of 8years in November 2000. He was honored with the floral tribute by his fellow officers. Services given by him is truly unmatched. He will never be forgotten by the country.